Saint Vincent Eagles Wins Vodafone Soqoiwasa Trophy
Author : Fiji Rugby League
Fiji Secondary School-girls’ competition kicked-off to a great start in the Soqoiwasa 9s Tourney over the weekend. 15 teams from 10 South-eastern regional schools participated in the day-long tournament in front of a great cheering crowd.
St Vincent College Eagles from Tailevu emerged victors after an entertaining final winning 8 points to 6 against Naitasiri Panthers. St Vincent became crowd favourites for the Girls title from the quarterfinals when the Eagles defeated defending champions Lomaivuna Rabbitohs 6 points to nil.
The victors also cut-off a top form Lelean Bati from the race in a nail-biting contest during the semi-finals. The Eagles won 6 nil against the Bati while Nasinu Panthers toppled Namosi Warriors 4 nil.
Southeastern Zone President Penaia Qalituraga commended the support of communities from the ten schools that participated and players. “I’m truly proud of the girl’s game and how far it has come to what it is today.
The show of talent and budding skills and the lively support of our fans is really overwhelming.”
Mr Qalituraga looked forward to a bigger outfit next year and hopes that the FNRL will secure good financial support to take the girls game to the next level.
“We thank Vodafone Fiji for their support to the games. The girls game can be bigger than what it is today and hopefully, we can get more funding for the girls’ game from FNRL.”
The schoolgirl’s tournament is expected to grow into the future yet it presently lacks financial support to develop more players and improve the girls game.
All girls’ and women competitions naming rights and other sponsorship benefits for the tournament are still available. Acting CEO Don Natabe said that ‘there continues to be growing interest in women’s participation but the lack of appetite for financial sponsorship into women’s pathway is a matter of interest across all sports.
“While there is growing interest from communities and schools, we are faced with the challenge of securing partners who are genuinely interested in supporting female pathways,” Natabe said.
The FSSRL will introduce a new nationals format for the open grade girls’ competitions and release the girl’s fixtures in the new week.
FINALS SERIES RESULTS
Lomaivuna Rabbitohs 0 – 6 Saint Vincent Eagles
Naitasiri Panthers 6 – 0 AOG Sea Eagles
Lelean Bati 4 – 0 Ballantine Raiders (2)
Namosi Warriors 12 – 0 Ballantine Raiders (1)
Saint Vincent Eagles 6 – 0 Lelean Bati
Naitasiri Panthers 4 – 0 Namosi Warriors
Saint Vincent Eagles 8 – 6 Naitasiri Panthers
More posts from this section
- Jack Brown Wins International Rugby League Wheelchair Golden Boot Award
- Maltese Juniors Score 98 Points In Representative Pathway Success
- Sharks devoured in road win
- England Community Lions Youth squad named
- St. Helens Academy Lose Out In Season Opener In London
- Turkey Complete Inaugral Junior Season
- NZ Juniors surge to second spot
- European U19s Rugby League Championship Moved To 2021
- Rugby League Federation Ghana Launches Pretty Girls Play Rugby League (Pgprl) Campaign
- Under 15’s Championship To Kick Off This Weekend In Port Vila
- Diamonds Take Out Opening U15s Clash
- Ifira Blackbirds To Make Their Under 15s Debut
- Albanian Youngster Signs with St. Helens
- Inaugural Samoan School of Origin series to kick off today
- Black Birds Hold Diamonds To A Draw To Setup Thrilling Finish In U15s Championship
- 2020 New Zealand Resident 16s Squad Named
- NZ Residents V NZ Maori Residents And NZEL Schools V Clubs Matches Locked In
- Marist win inaugural School of Origin series
- Ba wins Fiji Under-19 title
- Second Phase of Port Moresby RFL competitions to kick off this weekend
- Kila Kila and ECEM progress in Port Moresby Schoolboys Finals
- Finalists for Port Moresby Schools tournaments decided
- Kolkata hosts Rugby League India’s first tournament for 2020
- South Ikebukuro Rabbitohs launch Japan’s first Junior teams
- Draw released for inaugural New Zealand National U20s Competition
- Fiji given permission to restart Schools competitions
- England Academy Rugby League Set For March Return
- NZRL and ARL Announce Major Shift For Junior Rugby League
- Fijian Secondary Schools Girl’s Nines kicks off tomorrow
- Saint Vincent Eagles Wins Vodafone Soqoiwasa Trophy