England Community Lions Youth squad named
Story By : England Rugby League
21-STRONG SQUAD SELECTED FOR U19 EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS
A final 21-strong squad has been named for England Community Lions Youth for the remainder of 2020, which will include warm-up games against Ireland and Scotland before heading to the biennial Under-19s European Championships set to take place in Italy between 3-13 September.
Speaking after making his selections Director of Rugby, Allan Coleman said, “We went for a younger squad last season, to give us a better opportunity to look at players.
The majority of those players have retained their positions within the squad this season, whilst nine new players have also joined us for the 2020 season.
One of the main aims of the Community Lions programme is to offer once-in-a-lifetime opportunities to the best players within the Community Game, and as such we (as a management team) are constantly reviewing player’s performance including during the BARLA Counties, to see if there are any additional players which could be an asset to the squad.
A key example of this would be Aaron Turnball (Cumbria) who was one of the lads just missing out on a position within the 2019 squad, however he knuckled down and played well for his club and country – managing to fight his way back into the squad for 2020.
Something which as a coach is always nice to see.
“There has been a lot of competition out there to get this squad right, but we feel that we’ve done just that.
We feel with the two friendlies to look forward to we can get more experience of playing together and developing combinations, and hopefully we can produce something special come Tournament time.”
The squad is listed in full below and Lions Management would like to extend our congratulations and thanks to all players and their clubs for working with us.
Harry Derby (Leigh Miners)
Ryan Ellis (Orrell St James)
Matthew Ellis (Latchford Albion)
James Ennis (Kells)
Will Ennis (Kells)
Harry Georgiou (Siddal)
Frankie Gibson (Stanningley)
Connor Grainey (Leigh East)
Tyler Hart (Stanningley)
Evan Jones (Dalton)
Jack Kellet (Hensingham)
Adam Livesey (Leigh Miners)
Charlie McCurrie (Latchford Albion)
Josh Milnes (Siddal)
Matty Nash (Latchford Albion)
Tom O’Loughlin (Shevington Sharks)
Jonny Openshaw (Folly Lane)
Will Scrimshaw (Siddal)
Jack Stephenson (Dalton)
Elliott Stockdale (Dalton)
Aaron Turnbull (Hensingham)
The two friendlies against Ireland and Scotland are set to take place on July 11 and on August 2 at Leigh Miners Rangers and in Hawick respectively.
More posts from this section
- Jack Brown Wins International Rugby League Wheelchair Golden Boot Award
- Maltese Juniors Score 98 Points In Representative Pathway Success
- Sharks devoured in road win
- England Community Lions Youth squad named
- St. Helens Academy Lose Out In Season Opener In London
- Turkey Complete Inaugral Junior Season
- NZ Juniors surge to second spot
- European U19s Rugby League Championship Moved To 2021
- Rugby League Federation Ghana Launches Pretty Girls Play Rugby League (Pgprl) Campaign
- Under 15’s Championship To Kick Off This Weekend In Port Vila
- Diamonds Take Out Opening U15s Clash
- Ifira Blackbirds To Make Their Under 15s Debut
- Albanian Youngster Signs with St. Helens
- Inaugural Samoan School of Origin series to kick off today
- Black Birds Hold Diamonds To A Draw To Setup Thrilling Finish In U15s Championship
- 2020 New Zealand Resident 16s Squad Named
- NZ Residents V NZ Maori Residents And NZEL Schools V Clubs Matches Locked In
- Marist win inaugural School of Origin series
- Ba wins Fiji Under-19 title
- Second Phase of Port Moresby RFL competitions to kick off this weekend
- Kila Kila and ECEM progress in Port Moresby Schoolboys Finals
- Finalists for Port Moresby Schools tournaments decided
- Kolkata hosts Rugby League India’s first tournament for 2020
- South Ikebukuro Rabbitohs launch Japan’s first Junior teams
- Draw released for inaugural New Zealand National U20s Competition
- Fiji given permission to restart Schools competitions
- England Academy Rugby League Set For March Return
- NZRL and ARL Announce Major Shift For Junior Rugby League
- Fijian Secondary Schools Girl’s Nines kicks off tomorrow
- Saint Vincent Eagles Wins Vodafone Soqoiwasa Trophy