Plenty of fine local talent in Manly
Author : Wayne Cousins
Plenty of fine local talent in Manly Development team
The heavy focus on promoting talented young rugby league players from the Manly Warringah District Junior Rugby League is again evident in this year’s Sea Eagles Development squad.
The U16s squad, made up of players from across the Manly JRL, features 23 local juniors.
Matt Orford returns as the Sea Eagles Coach after taking the Sea Eagles development team to an undefeated season last year.
Orford played 109 first grade games for Manly and was captain of the club’s 2008 premiership winning team that beat Melbourne Storm 40-0 in the Grand Final.
Former 2011 premiership winning Sea Eagles player Jamie Buhrer is an Assistant Coach.
Orford said the squad’s sheer ability and willingness to learn had impressed him.
“What stood out most significantly during the pre-season was the mateship these players have formed in such a short space of time,” Orford said.
“They are very determined to do well and they are a hardworking group with great sportsmanship. You can see how motivated they are to get a positive result.”
Orford said he was enjoying the opportunity to develop the players’ skills.
“I want to further develop and install the fundamentals of our game in them,” he added.
“It is not only to improve their skills and performance but to also build their confidence and character as young men.”
The Sea Eagles play St George Dragons at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah, on Saturday, February 10, at 9am, in the first of four games this season.
Sea Eagles Development Squad
Aiden Cameron (Narrabeen Sharks)
Ash McClean (Narraweena Hawks)
Brodie Rota (Narraweena Hawks)
Dylan King (Narrabeen Sharks)
Hunter Chan (NS Brothers)
Jayden Richards (Narrabeen Sharks)
Kai Brennan (NS Brothers)
Kobe Morris (Narraweena Hawks)
Matthew Mendez (Narraweena Hawks)
Max Elkins (Narraweena Hawks)
Manu Elliot (Manly Brothers)
Max Henderson (Narrabeen Sharks)
Max Prykiel (NS Brothers)
Mitch Callaghan (Harbord United Devils)
Ofa Latu (Narraweena Hawks)
Noah Lawton (Narraweena Hawks)
Oscar Crotty (Narraweena Hawks)
Owen Bamford (Manly Brothers)
Ryan Grigorian (Harbord United Devils)
Saxon Gaw (Narraweena Hawks)
Sifa Oldfield (Narraweena Hawks)
Sonny Collela (Manly Brothers)
Sonny Wilcock (Narrabeen Sharks)
Tom Longland (Harbord United Devils)
Vaughn Kearney (Narraweena Hawks)
Billy Miller (Harbord United Devils)
Manly Development Draw
Round Date Opposition Venue Time
1 Saturday, February 10 St George Dragons Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah 9am
2 Saturday, February 17 South Sydney Rabbitohs Redfern Oval 9.45am
3 Saturday, March 9 Parramatta Eels 4 Pines Park, Brookvale 11am
4 Saturday, March 23 North Sydney Bears 4 Pines Park, Brookvale 11.30am
Tarsha Gale Cup Trials Sharks vs Weststigers
PHOTO GALLERY NSW u17s vs WARRINGTON ACADEMY
More posts from this section
- Heathcote High School Win University Shield
- Flegg Sharks Secure Minor Premiership
- Junior Sharks Final Trial Hit Out
- NSWRL to introduce new concussion rules
- Sharks Announce Junior Rep Squads
- Sharks Junior Rep Teams Lists – Round 1
- NSWRL Junior Reps Harold Matthews Cup Round 2 Wrap
- Mixed weekend for Junior Sharks
- Sharks Tarsha Gale girls win on the Bell
- Two wins for Junior Sharks
- No changes to NSWRL Junior Rugby League season
- Unbeaten run ends for Tarsha Gale Sharks
- Cronulla Sharks Matthews Cup dominant, SG Ball Sharks falter late
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT – From Jrl Cancellation Of Training And Trial Matches
- Cronulla Sharks Tarsha Gale back on track
- Junior Sharks score vital wins
- NSWRL suspends all competitions over COVID-19
- Major second-tier competitions cancelled across Australia
- Gymea Gorilla’s JRLFC Corea Oval Re-Opens after $640,000 Upgrade
- Milperra Colts celebrating 50 years with an upgrade
- NSWRL Covid-19 Update for Clubs : Major and Pathways Competitions
- COVID-19 Update: Community Football and Major Competitions
- Grassroots Rugby League set to re-start in NSW in July
- Update: Community Competitions 2020
- NSWRL Have No Permission to start footy
- NSWRL Community Football to resume in July
- NSWRL applauds move to resume senior sport
- COVID-19 update: Training in groups of up to 20 from 13 June
- Under 18s join as Bundaberg say ‘yes’
- Volunteer recruitment campaign