Latu Fainu grabs a double in Sea Eagles SG Ball win
Author : Wayne Cousins Sea Eagles Media
Latu Fainu double in Sea Eagles SG Ball win
Two tries in seven minutes by exciting young five-eighth Latu Fainu saw the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles record a 24-14 win over the Illawarra Steelers today.
The round three NSW Cup SG Ball Cup match was played in very humid conditions at Aubrey Keech Reserve, Hinchinbrook.
Trailing by two late in the second half, Fainu showed his class and endless talent by taking the line on to score two fine tries that proved the difference in what was a tight contest for the majority of the match.
The Sea Eagles were strong defensively in the opening 10 minutes, stopping several Illawarra raids.
The pressure eventually told with Illawarra scoring two tries in five minutes through lock Travis Barrett-Hancock and winger Te Umuariki Heremia-Tukere for an 8-0 lead after 20 minutes.
After coming close to scoring through centre Josh Feledy and winger Luke Tucker, the Sea Eagles opened their account when Kobe Fulton darted from dummy half to score next to the posts.
Half-back Tylor Bunting converted for an 8-6 scoreline which remained that way to half-time
Some strong pressure early in the second half by Manly paid off when talented lock Jonathan Chan crashed over next to the posts. Bunting converted for a 12-8 lead after 38 minutes.
The Steelers then enjoyed a wealth of possession inside Manly’s half before a mouse trap play from dummy half saw prop Ryan Couchman go over.
Hooker Navajo Doyle converted to give Illawarra a 14-12 lead after 48 minutes.
Manly regained the lead with 16 minutes remaining when Fainu took the line on to get outside the defence to score in the corner. Bunting converted for an 18-14 lead.
Fainu then all but secured victory for the Sea Eagles when he finished off a nice backline play to score out wide.
Bunting converted for the 24-14 scoreline with nine minutes remaining.
It was a tough hard fought victory for Coach Brett Fulton’s men who finished strongly, just as they did in their round one 20-18 win over Canberra away.
More posts from this section
- Flegg Sharks Secure Minor Premiership
- South Sydney Rabbitoh’s Are The 2019 Jersey Flegg Cup Champions
- Junior Sharks Final Trial Hit Out
- Harold Matthews and SG Ball register wins as season approaches
- NSWRL to introduce new concussion rules
- 2020 Harold Matthews Round 1
- 2020 SG Ball Cup Round 1 Results
- 2020 Tarsha Gale Cup Rnd 1 Results
- Sharks Announce Junior Rep Squads
- Bulldogs Announce 2020 Junior Representative Squads
- Sydney Roosters 2020 Juniors Rep Squads
- Harold Matthews Cup Team Lists Rnd 1
- 2020 SG Ball Cup Team Lists
- Tarsha Gale Cup Rnd 1 Team Lists
- Junior Rep Games Postponed Due to Rain
- History Made In NSWRL SG Ball Competition
- 2020 Harold Matthews Round 2
- Sea Eagles record strong win over Knights at Lottoland
- Raiders Junior Reps Wrap Round 1
- Tarsha Gale Cup Round 2 Team Lists
- Harold Matthews Cup Round 2 Team Lists
- NSWRL SG Ball Cup Round 2 Team Lists
- 2020 SG Ball Cup Round 2 Results
- 2020 Tarsha Gale Cup Rnd 2 Results
- NSWRL Junior Reps SG Ball Cup Round 2 Wrap
- NSWRL Junior Reps Harold Matthews Cup Round 2 Wrap
- Rabbitoh’s Junior Reps Round Two Results
- Clinical Panthers punish Central Coast
- Mixed weekend for Junior Sharks
- Late try sinks hopes of second win