School Takes Uniform Approach to Culture
Story by : Tony Crowe
Butler College versus Atwell College. Credit: David Baylis/Community News
Wanneroo Times HIGH school students have returned to sport wearing uniforms that pay homage to traditional culture and migrant communities.
Butler College’s rugby league players donned new uniforms for matches against Atwell College on August 21.
Designed by Indigenous artist Kevin Bynder, the shirts reflect a story of people from around the world coming together to learn and grow at the college.
Bynder’s design features a long neck turtle representing people native to the area, sea turtles to represent those who have crossed the sea to be in Perth and a centre circle representing the meeting place, Butler College.
Rugby league coordinator Leon Puletaha said 48 students in years 9 and 10 wore the new playing strips, which featured the school colours blue and white as well as Aboriginal connections to the area.
Butler College rugby league team co-captains Harrison Moore (15) and Lachlan Robertson (15) in the new uniforms. Credit: David Baylis/Community News
Mr Puletaha said both teams were excited ahead of the games after COVID-19 affected sports programs at the school in the first half of 2020
“All sport was on hold for a long time so to get back into it is really encouraging and motivating for our students,” he said.
“We have been training really hard and we are ready to proudly display our skills in our new uniforms.
More posts from this section
- Junior Sharks Final Trial Hit Out
- NSWRL to introduce new concussion rules
- Jack Brown Wins International Rugby League Wheelchair Golden Boot Award
- Maltese Juniors Score 98 Points In Representative Pathway Success
- Sharks devoured in road win
- NSWWRL Registration Update – Act Now
- England Community Lions Youth squad named
- St. Helens Academy Lose Out In Season Opener In London
- Turkey Complete Inaugral Junior Season
- NZ Juniors surge to second spot
- NSWRL 2020 statewide competitions cancelled
- Major second-tier competitions cancelled across Australia
- European U19s Rugby League Championship Moved To 2021
- Update: Community Competitions 2020
- NSWRL Community Football to resume in July
- NSWRL applauds move to resume senior sport
- COVID-19 update: Training in groups of up to 20 from 13 June
- Volunteer recruitment campaign
- Rugby League Federation Ghana Launches Pretty Girls Play Rugby League (Pgprl) Campaign
- School Takes Uniform Approach to Culture
- Under 15’s Championship To Kick Off This Weekend In Port Vila
- Diamonds Take Out Opening U15s Clash
- NSWWRL – Competition Restart
- Wheelchair Rugby League ready to roll with new season
- Ifira Blackbirds To Make Their Under 15s Debut
- Albanian Youngster Signs with St. Helens
- Inaugural Samoan School of Origin series to kick off today
- NSW Wheelchair Rugby League recommences 2020 Competition
- Black Birds Hold Diamonds To A Draw To Setup Thrilling Finish In U15s Championship
- 2020 New Zealand Resident 16s Squad Named