Around the Grounds Junior Reps Round 9
Author : NSWRL
Around the Grounds Junior Reps Round 9
Newcastle Knights have defeated Penrith Panthers 50-4 in Round Nine of the Harvey Norman Tarsha Gale Cup.
The Knights have had a sensational 2022 season and they confirmed their reputation as the most dangerous attacking team in the competition by looking capable of scoring almost every time they entered the Panthers red zone.
Quick-fire tries to Kasey Gaukroger and Tori Brazer kept the Knights rolling as they surged to a 18-0 lead after eight minutes.
The Knights never took their foot of the pedal and continually won the field position battle, resulting in doubles to Gaukroger and Clancy and a try to Ebony Woodcock to establish a 34-0 at the break.
As the skies opened in the second half, Knights five-eighth Jesse Southwell had a hand in everything with the ball and also kicked seven from nine off the boot.
Including a great kick from the sideline in terrible conditions.
A double to Mia Middleton and a try to Madison Marmion put the Knights up 50-0 until Panthers centre Kaliah Brown scored Penrith’s first of the day, bringing the final score to 50-4.
Bears and Steelers can’t be separated in thriller
North Sydney Bears and Illawarra Steelers have drawn 20-all at North Sydney Oval in the Harold Matthews Cup.
It was a tale of two halves with the Steelers going into the halftime break up 14-4 after a double to Toby Rumble and a try to Caleb Hall within the first 18 minutes.
Despite the fact the Bears have only managed one win in 2022.
The tide started to turn when five-eighth Cameron Robertson threw a beautiful cut-out ball to put winger Apiianga Manu over in the left-hand corner.
Determined to not let his wing partner have all the fun, Jack O’Connor finished a sweeping play down the right edge with a brilliant finish in testing conditions to put his side within striking distance.
The wet conditions came into play once more when a grubber from Bears hooker Joseph Dillon was spilled by the Steelers and Hoseah Neil put the ball down underneath the sticks.
When Dillon oanded his first conversion of the afternoon, the scores were all tied up at 14-all.
Both sides managed to crash over again, via James Walsh and Thomas Epere, but they couldn’t be separated after 60 minutes for the game to remain a draw.
Knights edge out Panthers to stay in top two
Newcastle Knights have defeated Penrith Panthers 32-18 at Maitland Sports Ground in the SG Ball Cup.
With the Knights and the Panthers both in the top four, this match-up had plenty of promise and it delivered in spades.
The home side got on the board first after Ethan Ferguson simply beat his opposite man for speed to score on the left-edge.
The Panthers hit back through Harrisson Hassett, who cashed in on a dream bounce after the ball flew over Knights fullback Fletcher Sharpe’s head and back into his arms.
Back-to-back tries from the Knights saw them take a 14-6 lead but the Panthers were able to turn the tables in their favour.
After scoring three straight tries including a double to Jesse McLean and a try to Delahia Wigmore.
With his side trailing by four points, Knights utility Cooper Bigeni was able to capitalise on some sustained pressure when he dived off a perfectly weighted kick from halfback Taj Blackman.
Ferguson converted and the Knights led 20-18.
The Novocastrians couldn’t be run down from there, and a try to Noah Nailagoliva and Ferguson’s double had the scores at 32-18 at the final whistle.
Round 9 action photo’s
More posts from this section
- Flegg Sharks Secure Minor Premiership
- South Sydney Rabbitoh’s Are The 2019 Jersey Flegg Cup Champions
- Junior Sharks Final Trial Hit Out
- Harold Matthews and SG Ball register wins as season approaches
- NSWRL to introduce new concussion rules
- 2020 Harold Matthews Round 1
- 2020 SG Ball Cup Round 1 Results
- 2020 Tarsha Gale Cup Rnd 1 Results
- Sharks Announce Junior Rep Squads
- Bulldogs Announce 2020 Junior Representative Squads
- Sydney Roosters 2020 Juniors Rep Squads
- Harold Matthews Cup Team Lists Rnd 1
- 2020 SG Ball Cup Team Lists
- Tarsha Gale Cup Rnd 1 Team Lists
- Junior Rep Games Postponed Due to Rain
- History Made In NSWRL SG Ball Competition
- 2020 Harold Matthews Round 2
- Sea Eagles record strong win over Knights at Lottoland
- Raiders Junior Reps Wrap Round 1
- Tarsha Gale Cup Round 2 Team Lists
- Harold Matthews Cup Round 2 Team Lists
- NSWRL SG Ball Cup Round 2 Team Lists
- 2020 SG Ball Cup Round 2 Results
- 2020 Tarsha Gale Cup Rnd 2 Results
- NSWRL Junior Reps SG Ball Cup Round 2 Wrap
- NSWRL Junior Reps Harold Matthews Cup Round 2 Wrap
- Rabbitoh’s Junior Reps Round Two Results
- Clinical Panthers punish Central Coast
- Mixed weekend for Junior Sharks
- Late try sinks hopes of second win