Sharks Harold Matthews tame the Tigers
Author : Sharks Media
Capped off by two clever second half tries, the Matthews Cup Sharks have beaten the Balmain Tigers 20-10 in a spirited contest at PointsBet Stadium.
With plenty to prove following a last start loss, the Sharks started fast against a big a physical Tigers outfit, with two tries coming from clever cross field kicks from half back Dylan Christiansen eventually proving to be the difference.
The first was spectacularly plucked out of the air by a flying Siteni Taukomo, the second to winger Chevy Stewart, with those two four pointers pushing the lead out to 20-6 and from there the Tigers couldn’t recover.
The Sharks opening try came from hard-working front rower Sam McCulloch, the second by centre Koby Douglas and the home team had an early 10-0 lead.
A nasty incident saw prop Lachlan Crossle assisted from the field, the tackle put on report and likely to earn the attention of the match review, and shortly after the Tigers would post their first points with a try out wide and a sideline conversion, the teams going to the break with the Sharks up 10-6.
A long run from centre Osca Catton put the Sharks on the attack midway through the second period and it was the Christensen-Siteni combination that would stretch the lead, the half back converting the try to push the score out to 16-6.
Again the Sharks stretched the Tigers line and on a good thing Christensen again kicked wide, Stewart making the catch and put down in almost confirming the result for the Cronulla side.
The Tigers would score a consolation try late courtesy of a 90-metre run following a Sharks dropped ball, but it was too little too late as the Sharks notched their second win from three games this season.
With the two points from the bye added to their two victories, the Sharks sit inside the top eight with six competition points after four rounds, with a game against the Illawarra Steelers in Wollongong to come next week.
Round 4 Full Results, Ladders & Player Stat’s
SG Ball Cup Round 4 Sharks v tigers Action Photo Gallery (Coming Soon)
Harold Matthews Cup Round 4 Sharks v tigers Action Photo Gallery (Coming Soon)
Tarsha Gale Cup Round 4 Sharks v tigers Action Photo Gallery (Coming Soon)
More posts from this section
- Flegg Sharks Secure Minor Premiership
- South Sydney Rabbitoh’s Are The 2019 Jersey Flegg Cup Champions
- Junior Sharks Final Trial Hit Out
- Harold Matthews and SG Ball register wins as season approaches
- NSWRL to introduce new concussion rules
- 2020 Harold Matthews Round 1
- 2020 SG Ball Cup Round 1 Results
- 2020 Tarsha Gale Cup Rnd 1 Results
- Sharks Announce Junior Rep Squads
- Bulldogs Announce 2020 Junior Representative Squads
- Sydney Roosters 2020 Juniors Rep Squads
- Harold Matthews Cup Team Lists Rnd 1
- 2020 SG Ball Cup Team Lists
- Tarsha Gale Cup Rnd 1 Team Lists
- Junior Rep Games Postponed Due to Rain
- History Made In NSWRL SG Ball Competition
- 2020 Harold Matthews Round 2
- Sea Eagles record strong win over Knights at Lottoland
- Raiders Junior Reps Wrap Round 1
- Tarsha Gale Cup Round 2 Team Lists
- Harold Matthews Cup Round 2 Team Lists
- NSWRL SG Ball Cup Round 2 Team Lists
- 2020 SG Ball Cup Round 2 Results
- 2020 Tarsha Gale Cup Rnd 2 Results
- NSWRL Junior Reps SG Ball Cup Round 2 Wrap
- NSWRL Junior Reps Harold Matthews Cup Round 2 Wrap
- Rabbitoh’s Junior Reps Round Two Results
- Clinical Panthers punish Central Coast
- Mixed weekend for Junior Sharks
- Late try sinks hopes of second win