Around the Grounds Junior Reps Round 6
Author : Andrew McEnallay NSWRL Media
Around the Grounds Junior Reps Round 6
All the best action from Round Six of the NSWRL’s Junior Representative competitions.
Roosters grind down Tigers in low scoring affair
Sydney Roosters have defeated Balmain Tigers 12-6 in Round Six of the SG Ball Cup at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night.
A forward pass from the Tigers put the Roosters into attacking field position
10 minutes into the game and they were able to capitalise through centre Kryon Fekitoa, who finished off some nice shape on the right edge. Cassius Tia converted to put his side up 6-0.
Some late footwork through the middle saw Salesi Foketi break through and link up with prop Venasiotangifetaua Patuki Case who crashed over underneath the posts.
After Tia converted, the Roosters were in control at 12-0.
The match changed complexion when some poor discipline from the Roosters let the Tigers back into the match just before halftime.
Jordan Roumanous got his side back into the contest after he burrowed over underneath the posts, with Cathane Hill converting to reduce the margin to 12-6 at halftime.
As the skies opened in the second half, neither side was able to add to their score, leaving the Roosters with their fourth win from five games in 2022.
Magpies extend undefeated streak
Western Suburbs Magpies have defeated South Sydney Rabbitohs 30-6 in the Harold Matthews Cup at Kirkham Oval, Camden.
Matching up against the Magpies is a tough task for any side, given they remain undefeated across the first six rounds of 2022.
Making the road tougher for Souths was the fact they let in 12 points in the first 12 minutes through tries to Lachlan Galvin and Jordan Miller.
The Magpies had the perfect start to the second half with winger Tajh Colquhoun crashing over on the right-hand side to extend his side’s lead to 16-0.
With his side desperately needing points, Rabbitohs captain Daniel Wright stepped up and scored their first points of the match off the back of a nice dummy and left foot step.
Some sloppy passing allowed Wests to pounce on a loose ball and William Craig raced away to score. Colquhoun added the extras and to increase the lead to 18-6.
Wests five-eighth Galvin kept his fingerprints all over the win after sending Luke Laulilii over.
Then combining again with his fullback to score in the final minute of play, giving his side a comprehensive 30-6 win.
Click here for more Harold Matthews Cup results.
Eels hold on against desperate Bears
Parramatta Eels have defeated North Sydney Bears 12-10 in the SG Ball Cup at New Era Stadium.
It was the Eels who struck first through five-eighth Reilly Canning, who after just five minutes caught the Bears defence napping, crashing over and then converting his own try.
With the Bears coming out of their own end, it was the spine who stood up off the back of some nice dummy-half play from hooker Christian Abel.
After breaking through, Abel offloaded to fullback Owen Flaherty who then passed on to five-eighth Darcy Brettle.
Converting his own try, the scores were level at 6-all.
Flaherty copped a horror bounce which saw the ball bounce over his head and land in the hands of Eels centre Declan Murray. He then scored underneath the posts with Canning adding the extras to put the Eels back in front 12-6.
Still searching for their first win of the season.
The Bears played with plenty of desperation, none more so than Michael Geddes who put his body on the line diving for a grubber kick and scoring a try off the back of pure effort.
Brettle unfortunately couldn’t convert and the Bears trailed 12-10 with 13 minutes remaining.
The Eels kept the pressure on, constantly attacking the Bears line although the North Sydney side showed plenty of fight, repelling them at every opportunity.
The Bears asked plenty of questions with the ball in hand, although the Eels defence held for them to come away with the two points.
More posts from this section
- Flegg Sharks Secure Minor Premiership
- South Sydney Rabbitoh’s Are The 2019 Jersey Flegg Cup Champions
- Junior Sharks Final Trial Hit Out
- Harold Matthews and SG Ball register wins as season approaches
- NSWRL to introduce new concussion rules
- 2020 Harold Matthews Round 1
- 2020 SG Ball Cup Round 1 Results
- 2020 Tarsha Gale Cup Rnd 1 Results
- Sharks Announce Junior Rep Squads
- Bulldogs Announce 2020 Junior Representative Squads
- Sydney Roosters 2020 Juniors Rep Squads
- Harold Matthews Cup Team Lists Rnd 1
- 2020 SG Ball Cup Team Lists
- Tarsha Gale Cup Rnd 1 Team Lists
- Junior Rep Games Postponed Due to Rain
- History Made In NSWRL SG Ball Competition
- 2020 Harold Matthews Round 2
- Sea Eagles record strong win over Knights at Lottoland
- Raiders Junior Reps Wrap Round 1
- Tarsha Gale Cup Round 2 Team Lists
- Harold Matthews Cup Round 2 Team Lists
- NSWRL SG Ball Cup Round 2 Team Lists
- 2020 SG Ball Cup Round 2 Results
- 2020 Tarsha Gale Cup Rnd 2 Results
- NSWRL Junior Reps SG Ball Cup Round 2 Wrap
- NSWRL Junior Reps Harold Matthews Cup Round 2 Wrap
- Rabbitoh’s Junior Reps Round Two Results
- Clinical Panthers punish Central Coast
- Mixed weekend for Junior Sharks
- Late try sinks hopes of second win