St. Augustines come from behind to win QLD Schoolboy Trophy
Author : Andrew Dawson News Corp Sports
St. Augustines win QLD Schoolboy Trophy
Lockyer Valley v St Augustine’s in the Qld Schoolboy Trophy Final
St Augustine’s College scored two tries in the last four minutes to beat Lockyer Valley 20-18.
The winning try came less than two minutes from the end, scored by second rower Lachlan Magill.
A booming sideline conversion by Billy Vincent – his second of the game – then carried his team ahead.
St Augustine’s College came from behind to win the trophy.
Lockyer Valley had led but Caiban Thaiday’s second try, then Magill’s try and Vincent’s conversion gave the FNQ side victory.
St Augustine’s College coach Chris O’Farrell said he was most proud of his team’s resilience throughout the season.
“And their determination to stay in the fight.
“They were their worst enemies pretty much the whole game but they dug deep in the last few minutes. They have shown that all throughout the season.’’
What a match it was.
Two intercept tries lit up the grand final, with first St Augustine’s Thaiday outlasting Lockyer Valley fullback Cooper Leston to score – and five minutes late Lockyer’s Caeleb Nagan sprinting 95m untouched.
Those two thrilling sprint tries saw Lockyer Valley lead 14-10, setting the scene for a bumper last 17 minutes.
Earlier, Lockyer Valley SHS seized the advantage – but only just – with a composed, constructive first half of football.
Enterprising centre Shoneton Karapen snapped a 4-all deadlock in the lead up to the break, outflanking the St Augustine’s defence which had given up a little too much room on the outside.
With five-eighth Mason Potter and fullback Cooper Listen providing slick service, and Lockyer District forwards Logan Hazard, Clayton Andrew and Connor Page driving ahead, Lockery District were in top.
Both No.4s traded tries in the opening 20 minutes of the grand final, with Hayden Dunn plunging over in the corner for Lockyer Valley after subtle ball play by Cooper Listen and Mason Potter in the lead-up.
Lockyer Valley had the better of the territory battle, with a fast moving defensive line contributing to keep St Augustine’s pinned.
But the first chance St Augustine’s had in attack zone, they scored, with right centre Kaleb Eaton crossing.
Late in the first half Dunn almost scored again, but was bent back by last ditch goal line defence.
St Augustines College, Cairns QLD – 20
TRIES : (4) Kaleb Eaton, (3) Caiban Thaiday 2, (12) Lochlan McGill
GOALS : Billy Vincent 2/4
Lockyer District SHS, Gatton QLD – 18
TRIES : (4) Hayden Dunn 2, (3) Shoneton Karapen, (5) Caleb Nagan
GOALS : Hayden Dunn 1/4
Half Time : 4 – 8
FULL TIME : 20 – 18
More posts from this section
- Kirwan Shock Football World By Defeating Westfields
- Schoolboy Cup kicks off in Queensland with Solid Win to Marsden SHS
- Marsden State High School Broncos Cup
- Keebra Park Rugby League Academy
- St Brendan’s College take championship with 26-10 win.
- Gold Coast derby to decide Allan Langer Trophy
- Marsden into Bronco’s Cup Grand Final
- Footy finals fever at Redcliffe SHS
- Rich Rivalries To Decide Schoolboy Silverware
- Townsville’s greatest schoolboys rivalry takes centre stage in Aaron Payne Cup final
- North Queensland School Footy Heats up in Finals
- Marsden State High School
- Kirwan Bears Win The Aaron Payne Cup!
- Steve Renouf & Michael Hancock Cup Grand Finals
- Congratulations to the 2020 Broncos Cup Champions! Marsden SHS
- Kirwan reign supreme in grandstand finish
- Marsden State High School win 2021 Tonie Carroll Cup
- Redcliffe SHS qualify for Broncos Cup
- School try-ing for Broncos clean sweep
- Bronco’s Schoolboy Challenge