Revamped Allan Langer Trophy launched for 2021
Author : Brisbane Broncos Media & Colleen Edwards
This year’s Allan Langer Trophy open schoolboy’s competition has been launched at the home of the Brisbane Broncos, with proud school team representatives on hand to showcase an exciting new chapter in the contest.
The competition will expand to eight teams in 2021, with the new initiative aimed at driving future growth in the schoolboy player pathways, as well as providing further opportunities to new and emerging secondary schools that wish to participate.
The two schools that qualified to be part of this year’s contest to join the incumbent teams were Coombabah State High School and Mabel Park SHS, with the Logan school winning their qualifying grand final against Redcliffe SHS earlier this month.
The launch for the competition which will kick off on June 2, was held at the Clive Berghofer training complex to help highlight the more than 20 years of support the Broncos had provided to the Queensland Secondary Schools Rugby League, as well as the many competitions they financially support throughout Queensland.
The Allan Langer Trophy was originally established in 2001, to help make Queensland-based secondary schools more competitive at a national level.
The eight schools that will take part in this year’s competition are: Marsden SHS, Palm Beach Currumbin SHS, St Mary’s College (Toowoomba), Keebra Park SHS, Wavell SHS, Ipswich SHS, Mabel Park SHS and Coombabah SHS.
Xavier Va’a at the launch of the 2021 Allan Langer Cup. Photo: Colleen Edwards / QRL
For St Mary’s captain Xavier Va’a, it was good to be able to represent his school as part of the expanded competition.
“The launch today was a great experience, it was great to meet all the other captains from their schools,” Va’a said.
“It is a privilege to represent and lead St Mary’s in the Allan Langer Trophy; against the best rugby league schools in south east Queensland.”
Va’a – who also captained the Western Mustangs Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup team this season – said he and his side were looking forward to the experiences ahead.
“It is always tough playing against some of the big names in the competition, but our team is willing for the challenge,” Va’a said.
“This will be my third year in the Langer Trophy competition, I am looking forward to another year leading from the front.
“This year will be special not only because this is my last year, but I’ll get to share the field with my brother, De La Salle.
“We haven’t played together since primary school days.”
The man himself, former Queensland Maroons and Brisbane Broncos legend Allan Langer, attended the launch and met with the players, with many of the school’s principals, deputy principals, coaches and the captains of each respective team also in attendance.
Allan Langer meets with school team captains. Photo: Colleen Edwards / QRL
Other special guests present, included school rugby league stalwart Phil Hall, former Broncos players Mick Hancock, David Stagg and Matt Gillett.
The players who represented their schools on stage at the launch were: Tyrell Waaka-Rhind (Wavell), Tim Sielaff-Burns (Coombabah), Xavier Va’a (St Mary’s College), Blake Mozer (Keebra ), Kulikefu Finefeuiaki (Ipswich), Tom Weaver (Palm Beach Currumbin), Mustafa Kaya (Mabel Park) and Chris Faagutu (Marsden).
More posts from this section
- Keebra Park win 2016 Tonie Carroll Cup
- Kirwan Shock Football World By Defeating Westfields
- Schoolboy Cup kicks off in Queensland with Solid Win to Marsden SHS
- Marsden State High School Broncos Cup
- Keebra Park Rugby League Academy
- St Brendan’s College take championship with 26-10 win.
- Gold Coast derby to decide Allan Langer Trophy
- Marsden into Bronco’s Cup Grand Final
- Footy finals fever at Redcliffe SHS
- Rich Rivalries To Decide Schoolboy Silverware
- Townsville’s greatest schoolboys rivalry takes centre stage in Aaron Payne Cup final
- North Queensland School Footy Heats up in Finals
- Marsden State High School
- Kirwan Bears Win The Aaron Payne Cup!
- Steve Renouf & Michael Hancock Cup Grand Finals
- Congratulations to the 2020 Broncos Cup Champions! Marsden SHS
- Kirwan reign supreme in grandstand finish
- Marsden State High School win 2021 Tonie Carroll Cup
- Redcliffe SHS qualify for Broncos Cup
- School try-ing for Broncos clean sweep
- Bronco’s Schoolboy Challenge
- Redcliffe and Mabel into 2021 Langer Cup Final
- Langer Cup qualifying grand final
- Revamped Allan Langer Trophy launched for 2021
- Who are the Players to Watch in the elite Langer Cup schoolboy competition starting on June 2?
- Players to Watch at the Queensland Secondary School Rugby League carnival
- Langer Cup countdown Draw features newcomers clash Mabel Park SHS and Coombabah SHS
- Langer Trophy, Payne Cups: Armchair guide to our best schoolboys
- Allan Langer Cup Rnd 1 Wrap
- Marsden first round winners in Langer Cup