Langer Cup qualifying grand final
Author : Andrew Dawson Quest Newspapers
Langer Cup qualifying grand final played between Mabel Park SHS and Redcliffe SHS. Who won?
Mabel Park SHS are into the Langer Cup for the first time after winning this afternoon’s qualifying grand final.
Mabel Park pipped Redcliffe SHS 12-10, with Redcliffe scoring late to threaten to steal the game from the Logan City school.
There was high drama as Redcliffe reduced the margin in the doom and gloom of an approaching storm.
Proud day for Mabel Park SHS players.
Mabel Park will now play in the Langer Cup which will be livestreamed by News Corp from June 1.
This season the Langer Cup has been expanded from six to eight teams, with Coombabah SHS automatically joining incumbent schools Palm Beach Currumbin SHS, Keebra Park SHS, Marsden SHS, Wavell SHS, St Mary’s College Toowoomba and Ipswich SHS in expanded competition.
Last week Redcliffe defeated Alexandra Hills SHS while Mabel Park SHS outlasted a fast-finishing Forest Lake SHS.
Music blasted across the Mabel Park SHS dressing room in celebration of the win.
“We were dominant for big chucks of the game,’’ said Mabel Park SHS coach Lee Addison.
“We seemed to be in control and building pressure against a Redcliffe team which was very tenacious. But we just couldn’t shake them off.’’
He said his team then defended its goal line in the second half like our “lives depended on it.’’
He praised the performances of Shiloh Filipo, Peni Auvaa, Khai Reuben and Jamie Zaghini.
Redcliffe SHS coach Scott Murray said his team made “too many errors which is normally our strength’’. “We could not get out of our own way at times.’’“To our credit the effort was really, really good.
“We still had a set at the end of the game to win it and probably got 50cm away on the last play, so I can’t say anything against our effort.
“But full credit to Mabel Park. They deserve to be there (in the Langer Cup).’’
In the Walters Cup qualifying final, there was good news for Redcliffe who ran out winners 36-4 over St Mary’s College.
More posts from this section
- Keebra Park win 2016 Tonie Carroll Cup
- Kirwan Shock Football World By Defeating Westfields
- Schoolboy Cup kicks off in Queensland with Solid Win to Marsden SHS
- Marsden State High School Broncos Cup
- Keebra Park Rugby League Academy
- St Brendan’s College take championship with 26-10 win.
- Gold Coast derby to decide Allan Langer Trophy
- Marsden into Bronco’s Cup Grand Final
- Footy finals fever at Redcliffe SHS
- Rich Rivalries To Decide Schoolboy Silverware
- Townsville’s greatest schoolboys rivalry takes centre stage in Aaron Payne Cup final
- North Queensland School Footy Heats up in Finals
- Marsden State High School
- Kirwan Bears Win The Aaron Payne Cup!
- Steve Renouf & Michael Hancock Cup Grand Finals
- Congratulations to the 2020 Broncos Cup Champions! Marsden SHS
- Kirwan reign supreme in grandstand finish
- Marsden State High School win 2021 Tonie Carroll Cup
- Redcliffe SHS qualify for Broncos Cup
- School try-ing for Broncos clean sweep
- Bronco’s Schoolboy Challenge
- Redcliffe and Mabel into 2021 Langer Cup Final
- Langer Cup qualifying grand final
- Revamped Allan Langer Trophy launched for 2021
- Who are the Players to Watch in the elite Langer Cup schoolboy competition starting on June 2?
- Players to Watch at the Queensland Secondary School Rugby League carnival
- Langer Cup countdown Draw features newcomers clash Mabel Park SHS and Coombabah SHS
- Langer Trophy, Payne Cups: Armchair guide to our best schoolboys
- Allan Langer Cup Rnd 1 Wrap
- Marsden first round winners in Langer Cup