All Saints too good for Farrer in Schoolboy Cup
Author : Steve Montgomery
Round 2 of the Schoolboy Cup match between All Saints College and Farrer MaHS was played at the Maitland Sports Ground today in nice sunny weather on a magnificent ground.
All Saints College 30 – 18 Farrer MAHS
After falling apart in Round 1 to Holy Cross College, All Saints came into Round 2 with a different attitude.
In an Interview with All Saints Coach Matt Lantry, when asked what was the difference between the 2 games, he said ‘ The difference between our performance last time and on this occasion was our actual belief that we could win the game when we got in the position to do so‘
Farrer came our hard in the 1st half with 5/8 Mitch Henderson leading the way with powerful runs up the middle and gave advantage to his running backs.
Farrer where 1st to get the ball across their oppositions line only to be pounced upon by All Saints centre Tyler Threadgate who was caught and gang tackled in goal, after the line drop out, Farrer had a new set of 6.
Good defence by the All Saints boys and an intercept saw the ball going the other ways with All Saints in control, they charged up the middle and in the same set sent the ball out wide and the helmet wearing Centre Sam Lantry dived over crashing through two defenders to open the scoring for his School.
Halfback Fletcher Sharpe duly converted 6 – 0
Both teams tried to out muscle each other for the next 10 minutes in the midddle of the Maitland Sports ground and All Saints regained their composure and some shape to see Fletcher Sharpe run 20 meters only to get smashed which resulted in a penalty.
All Saints choose to go for the 2 points, Sharpe kicked the penalty goal to lead 8 – 0.
Farrer kicked off again and didn’t get any of the footy when Sharpe scored this time on the grand stand side with desperate Farrer defenders trying to stop him as he muscled his way to dive over the try line.
The Sharpe conversion attempt missed 12 – 0
A couple sets to each school later and only less than 1/2 a minute in the 1st half, Farrer ran the ball through many hands to set up Mitch Henderson who was backing up and ran over the line to put Farrer on the scoreboard.
Henderson converted his own try after the half time siren to make the score 12 – 6 at the half.
It was a tough start to the 2nd half with both school playing up and down the field for the first 8 or 9 minutes, All Saints were attacking the Farrer line and ran into some solid D, all of a sudden All Saints sneaky Hooker Khynan Butler slides in next to the post to extend his schools lead by 4 points.
Again Sharpe converted the try to add the 2, 18 – 6
Both teams traded blows for a couple more set when All Saints fullback Jackson Eckford was too fast for everyone and run 40 meters to score and place the ball one handed under the black dot.
Eckford causally turned around and celebrated with a spectacular back flip to the thrill of the large crowd of a couple 100 All Saints students who came from an Athletics carnival next door to the footy ground.
Sharpe again converted and added the 2 points to give his school a 24 – 6 lead
Again both schools tried to get the better of the other with the footy travelling all over the Maitland footy field, Farrer’s powerful Mitch Henderson tried a little grubber kick and followed the ball into the in goal to pounce on his own kick to score his 2nd try of this School Boy Cup match.
Henderson added the 2 points to bring his school back from the brink and give Farrer some chance with 15 minutes left on the clock Score 24 – 12.
Another 7 minutes of tough schoolboy footy the ball was passed to a flying Fletcher Sharpe who sprinted from the half way line to dive over and score under the posts untouched.
No exciting back flips from Sharpe, he casually played the footy on the T and converted another try to extend All Saints lead with only a few minutes to the final siren. 30 – 12
Again both schools played footy all over the Park, with 4 minutes to the bell, Farrer get the ball out wide to winger Jordan Whillock who ran from out wide to dive and score behind the black dot to give his kicker an easier shot at goal
Five/eight Henderson converted the try 30 – 18.
Action Photo Gallery All Saints v Farrer (Coming Soon – Thursday arvo)
More posts from this section
- Heathcote High Create Their Own Little Bit Of History
- Kirwan Shock Football World By Defeating Westfields
- Major second-tier competitions cancelled across Australia
- 2020 Sydney Metro Schoolboy Cup Kicks Off With New Sponsor
- Big Scores in Rnd 1 of the 2020 Schoolboy Cup
- NSW Schoolboy Cup – Rnd 2
- Patrician Bro’s Blacktown home in 9 try romp
- St. Gregory Schoolboy Cup Quarter final report
- Endeavour sail on after broadsiding Illawarra in Schoolboy Cup Qtr Final
- Schoolboy Cup Semi Finals
- Schoolboy Cup – Semi Finals
- Pats Blacktown Set Up Grand Final Blockbuster
- NRL Schoolboy Cup 2020: Westfields Sports High vs Patrician Brothers Blacktown
- Patrician Brothers win 2020 Schoolboy Cup
- Patties seal Grand Final in last minutes
- NSW Schoolboy Cup Teams of the Year
- Schoolboy Cup Kicks off this week
- 2021 Schoolboy Cup Round 1 Results
- Holy Cross defeats All Saints
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Patrician Brothers Blacktown v Endeavour Sports
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Endeavour Sports defeats Patrician Brothers Blacktown
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 St Gregory’s College v Hunter Sports High
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Bass High v St Dominic’s College
- Westfields Sports High strong comeback to beat Hills Sports High
- Schoolboy Cup Round 1 Bass High v St Dominic’s College
- Illawarra Sports High beat Erindale College in thriller
- 2021 Schoolboy Cup Round 2 Results
- Patrician Brothers Fairfield defeat Holy Cross College
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 2 Endeavour and Hills get it on at Shark Park
- NRL Schoolboy Cup Hills SHS scores comeback win over Endeavour