NSW Schoolboy Cup Teams of the Year
Author : The Daily Telegraph
It was a season like no other. Yet despite the challenges of COVID-19 and numerous disruptions, the quality of the NRL Schoolboy Cup was as good as ever.
With players across NSW showcasing tremendous determination and discipline, Hills Sports High coach Scott Jones – who also coaches NSW under-16s – paid tribute to the standards reached in a trying 2020.
“The talent is always strong across every year and this year was no different,” Jones said.
Kobe Wilson helped keep Endeavour Sports High in many contests.
“I’ve been involved in the schoolboys cup since 2007. The schools and the talent are getting better. Having it live streamed, the more publicity and promotion the competition gets, the more people want to be involved in it,” Jones said.
“In years past, a lot of good kids might go to other schools, but now they want to play in that top tier competition and go to schools that compete in that.”
2020 NRL SCHOOLBOY CUP FIRST TEAM
1. Liam Ison (St Dominic’s College)
The 16-year-old fullback held his own against kids twice his size. Will only get bigger and better. Part of the Penrith Panthers Harold Matthews squad for 2021.
2. Sunia Turuva (Patrician Brothers College, Blacktown)
Man of the match in this year’s NRL Schoolboy Cup NSW Final. Can turn a game on its head – just like his first cousin, Api Koroisau. Played his junior rep footy for the Panthers and could end up joining the NRL boys for pre-season.
Sunia Turuva has a bright future in front of him.
3. Joshua Mocevakaca (Hills Sports High)
Formidable athlete who scored four tries in this year’s Schoolboy Cup. The outside back will play SG Ball for the Rabbitohs in 2021.
4. Samuel Loziou (Patrician Brothers College, Blacktown)
Made Australian Schoolboys when he was just 16. Strong centre who is capable of playing in the halves. Preparing for his first NRL pre-season with the Parramatta Eels.
5. Keane Tavui (Westfields Sports High)
Westfields‘ hardworking outside back who has come through the Western Suburbs/Wests Tigers system. Played local footy for Glenquarry last year.
6. Iverson Matai (Endeavour Sports High)
Endeavour’s five-eighth was strong in attack and defence. Just made things happen. Matai has been named in the Bulldogs Harold Matthews Cup squad for 2021.
7. Jakob Arthur (Patrician Brothers College, Blacktown)
Captained Patties to the 2020 NRL Schoolboy Cup NSW title. Great footy brain and composure under pressure. Son of Parramatta Eels coach Brad Arthur. Preparing for his first NRL pre-season with the Parramatta Eels.
Jakob Arthur, son of Eels coach Brad Arthur, had a great season.
8. Joshua Finau (Endeavour Sports High)
Incredible size, strength and speed for an 18-year-old. Was a driving force behind Endeavour in 2020. Played SG Ball for the Cronulla Sharks this year and is preparing to do a full NRL pre-season.
9. Kobie Wilson (Endeavour Sports High)
Threatening hooker who kept Endeavour in every contest. Played SG Ball with the Sharks in 2020 and made the 2018 Australian 15 Years Merit team.
10. Larry Muagututia (Patrician Brothers College, Fairfield)
Was a standout in Patties Fairfield’s only Schoolboy match this year. Has been selected in Parramatta’s SG Ball squad for 2021.
11. Billy Burke (Endeavour Sports High)
Endeavour’s tough captain who overcame serious injury – two ruptured disks in his lower back that impeded on his spinal cord – in time for the Schoolboy Cup. Also a handy kicker. Was part of the Sharks SG Ball 2020 squad.
12. Brandon Tumeth (Holy Cross College)
Gritty and determined forward who has scored many crucial tries for Holy Cross over the last two years. Contracted with Wests Tigers and will play Jersey Flegg in 2021.
13. Caleb Tohi (Westfields Sports High)
Incredibly skilful lock who made the 2019 Senior NSW Schoolboys side. Played SG Ball for Parramatta in 2020 and will continue developing his footy with the Eels.
2020 NRL SCHOOLBOY CUP SECOND TEAM
1. Carson Kaho (Westfields Sports High)
Showed great composure and scored a strong try in this year’s Schoolboy Cup NSW final. Part of the Rabbitohs SG Ball squad for 2021.
2. Kristian Li-Mai (Patrician Brothers College, Blacktown)
Was deadly on the wing for Patties this year. Has been named in the Penrith Panthers SG Ball squad for 2021.
Krystian Mapapalangi showed his class for Holy Cross College.
3. Krystian Mapapalangi (Holy Cross College)
The most talented centre to ever come through Holy Cross College. Signed a top 30 deal with the Manly Sea Eagles and is expected to progress up the ranks.
4. Lajuan Vito (Endeavour Sports High)
Played in the second row for the Bulldogs Harold Matthews side, but shone in the centres for Endeavour this year. In 2019 he was named in the NSW CHS 15s side.
5. Sean Russell (Patrician Brothers College, Blacktown)
Patties strong fullback who made an appearance for Parramatta’s NRL side in a trial game earlier this year. Preparing for his first NRL pre-season with the Eels.
6. Mikey Tannous (Hills Sports High)
Hills’ crafty five-eighth Tannous gave his opponents a headache. He is contracted to the Wests Tigers and is preparing for his first NRL pre-season.
7. Joseph O‘Neill (Westfields Sports High)
Westfields’ halfback who led his school to this year’s NRL Schoolboy Cup NSW final. Will play SG Ball with the Bulldogs in 2021.
8. Apisalome Saukuru (Westfields Sports High)
Westfields’ wrecking ball with great balance and agility. Played junior reps for the Bulldogs but has just signed a contract with the Wests Tigers. Preparing for his first NRL pre-season.
9. Riley Smith (St Dominic‘s College)
Talented hooker and opening batter. Smith is part of Cricket NSW’s under-19s squad and played for Australia’s under-16s side in 2019. He’s also part of the Panthers 2021 SG Ball. Smith’s kicking and running game was outstanding in Dom’s quarterfinal against Westfields.
Jontay-Junior Betham-Misa turned quite a few heads this year.
10. Jontay-Junior Betham-Misa (Patrician Brothers College, Blacktown)
Patties’ unstoppable prop, has played junior representative footy with the Eels. Played SG Ball for Parramatta in 2020.
11. Charlie Lennon (St Gregory‘s College)
St Greg’s co-captain and hardworking second rower. Refuses to give up. Lennon played SG Ball for the Western Suburbs Magpies,
12. Dilan Asanoski (Illawarra Sports High)
Illawarra Collegians Junior, contracted to the Illawarra Steelers. Played Harold Matthews for the Steelers in 2019.
13. Mitch Henderson (Farrer MAHS)
Part of the Newcastle Knights Harold Matthews Cup winning side in 2019. Selected for the 16s NSW All Schools Rugby Union and the NSW Waratahs Gen Blue 16s. In 2020, Henderson needed a break and left the Knights. This year, he played for the Great Northern Tigers in the Laurie Daley Cup.
More posts from this section
- Heathcote High Create Their Own Little Bit Of History
- Kirwan Shock Football World By Defeating Westfields
- Major second-tier competitions cancelled across Australia
- 2020 Sydney Metro Schoolboy Cup Kicks Off With New Sponsor
- Big Scores in Rnd 1 of the 2020 Schoolboy Cup
- NSW Schoolboy Cup – Rnd 2
- Patrician Bro’s Blacktown home in 9 try romp
- St. Gregory Schoolboy Cup Quarter final report
- Endeavour sail on after broadsiding Illawarra in Schoolboy Cup Qtr Final
- Schoolboy Cup Semi Finals
- Schoolboy Cup – Semi Finals
- Pats Blacktown Set Up Grand Final Blockbuster
- NRL Schoolboy Cup 2020: Westfields Sports High vs Patrician Brothers Blacktown
- Patrician Brothers win 2020 Schoolboy Cup
- Patties seal Grand Final in last minutes
- NSW Schoolboy Cup Teams of the Year
- Schoolboy Cup Kicks off this week
- 2021 Schoolboy Cup Round 1 Results
- Holy Cross defeats All Saints
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Patrician Brothers Blacktown v Endeavour Sports
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Endeavour Sports defeats Patrician Brothers Blacktown
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 St Gregory’s College v Hunter Sports High
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Bass High v St Dominic’s College
- Westfields Sports High strong comeback to beat Hills Sports High
- Schoolboy Cup Round 1 Bass High v St Dominic’s College
- Illawarra Sports High beat Erindale College in thriller
- 2021 Schoolboy Cup Round 2 Results
- Patrician Brothers Fairfield defeat Holy Cross College
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 2 Endeavour and Hills get it on at Shark Park
- NRL Schoolboy Cup Hills SHS scores comeback win over Endeavour