Pats Blacktown Set Up Grand Final Blockbuster
Author : JOCELYN AIRTH Daily Telegraph
Patrician Brothers Blacktown are through to the final of the NRL Schoolboy Cup with a nailbiting victory over Endeavour Sports High at Bankwest Stadium.
After trailing by 10 points, Patrician Brothers Blacktown fought back to beat Endeavour Sports High 32-24 and progress to the NRL Schoolboy Cup Grand Final.
Parramatta Eels coach Brad Arthur watched, as his son Jakob and Isaiya Katoa took control of the seesawing affair at Bankwest Stadium on Wednesday.
The Patties halves showed great composure to orchestrate three tries in the closing 15 minutes to book their spot in next week’s blockbuster final against Westfields Sports High School.
“Everyone was positive, not one person put his head down,” skipper Jakob Arthur said.
“Part of our culture is to never give up, keep fighting until the bell … we’ve faced adversity all year, but we’ve still come out on top, it was good to get the win.”
The Year 12 student – who just finished his HSC exams – praised the talent of his partner Katoa, brother of Bulldogs NRL star Sione Katoa.
“He’s a freak. He’s only 16, in Year 10, this is the first year we’ve played together” Arthur said.
After losing the NSW title to Westfields in 2019, Arthur is hoping to get revenge at Leichhardt Oval next week.
“They’re a good side, they’re always tough, hopefully now we’ll get them back for last year.”
Patties might have won, but Endeavour made them fight for every point – underdogs were ahead by ten points with fifteen minutes to go.
Captain Billy Burke lauded his team’s attitude in 2020.
“I’m definitely proud the boys over the last 12 months have worked really hard, to put in a performance like that and to come up short, it’s tough, there’s always going to be a winner and a loser,” Burke said.
“There’s definitely a lot of talent in the year 11 group, we had a few play today, that whole year is itching to play, they were on us Year 12s boys back and keeping us accountable. Next year they’ll be in good hands with Kels (Brad Kelly).”
It took Australian Schoolboys star Sam Loizou just three minutes to get Patties on the board. After missing the first two games due to injury and illness, Loizou immediately crossed on the left. With the conversion waived, Patrician Brothers led 4-0.
Endeavour responded via Bulldogs junior Iverson Matai. Brilliant footwork and offloading by Sam Jinks allowed his five-eighth to spin over. Skipper Billy Burke booted the conversion and Endeavour led 6-4.
Patties halves Arthur and Katoa then orchestrated two tries on the right edge. Centre Sunia Turuva burrowed over and winger Kristian-Le Mai to push their school ahead 14-6.
The boys from Blacktown continued to attack and Bailey Nouredine always looked dangerous from dummy half.
But just before halftime, Endeavour’s Kobie Wilson had a breakthrough. The hooker – who was named in the 2019 Australians Under 15s side – scooped up a lost ball and ran 50 metres to cross. Burke converted and Endeavour trailed 14-12.
Endeavour returned to the field, ready to rumble. While Patties struggled to adapt after injury forced hooker Nouredine from the field, Brad Kelly’s side scored two quick tries. Matai put his hard-running fullback Dylan Hema over and then Jinks weaved around defenders to cross. Burke’s accurate boot propelled Endeavour ahead 24-14.
Trailing by 10 points and with just 15 minutes to go, Patties took control. Katoa shifted to dummy half, channeling the skill of his brother, Bulldogs hooker Sione Katoa
Semi Final 1
Westfields SHS 28
TRIES : Justin Matamua, Caleb Kirikiti, Solomon Sankuru, Cooper Sinclair, Ashton Kolinisau
GOALS : Carson Kaho 3
P/GOALS : Carson Kaho
The Hills SHS 18
TRIES : Lipo Kopoi, Mikey Tannous, Taylor Bunton
GOALS : Blake Metcalfe 3
Semi Final 2
Patrician Brothers 32
GOALS : , Sunia Turuva, Kristian Li Mai, Jakob Arthur, Sione Lino, Isiayo Katoa
GOALS : Samual Loziou 4
Endeavour SHS 24
TRIES : Iverson Matai, Kobie Wilson, Dylan Hema, Sam Jimks
GOALS : Billy Burke 4
More posts from this section
- Heathcote High Create Their Own Little Bit Of History
- Kirwan Shock Football World By Defeating Westfields
- Major second-tier competitions cancelled across Australia
- 2020 Sydney Metro Schoolboy Cup Kicks Off With New Sponsor
- Big Scores in Rnd 1 of the 2020 Schoolboy Cup
- NSW Schoolboy Cup – Rnd 2
- Patrician Bro’s Blacktown home in 9 try romp
- St. Gregory Schoolboy Cup Quarter final report
- Endeavour sail on after broadsiding Illawarra in Schoolboy Cup Qtr Final
- Schoolboy Cup Semi Finals
- Schoolboy Cup – Semi Finals
- Pats Blacktown Set Up Grand Final Blockbuster
- NRL Schoolboy Cup 2020: Westfields Sports High vs Patrician Brothers Blacktown
- Patrician Brothers win 2020 Schoolboy Cup
- Patties seal Grand Final in last minutes
- NSW Schoolboy Cup Teams of the Year
- Schoolboy Cup Kicks off this week
- 2021 Schoolboy Cup Round 1 Results
- Holy Cross defeats All Saints
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Patrician Brothers Blacktown v Endeavour Sports
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Endeavour Sports defeats Patrician Brothers Blacktown
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 St Gregory’s College v Hunter Sports High
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Bass High v St Dominic’s College
- Westfields Sports High strong comeback to beat Hills Sports High
- Schoolboy Cup Round 1 Bass High v St Dominic’s College
- Illawarra Sports High beat Erindale College in thriller
- 2021 Schoolboy Cup Round 2 Results
- Patrician Brothers Fairfield defeat Holy Cross College
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 2 Endeavour and Hills get it on at Shark Park
- NRL Schoolboy Cup Hills SHS scores comeback win over Endeavour