NRL Schoolboy Cup Hills SHS scores comeback win over Endeavour
Author : Jocelyn Airth Daily Telegraph
NZ U16s star Cassius Tia played a starring role as The Hills Sports High scored two tries in the last four minutes to seal a stunning comeback win over Endeavour.
Fullback Blake Metcalfe crossed in the dying seconds to hand The Hills Sports High a thrilling 28-22 victory over Endeavour in Round 2 of the NRL Schoolboy Cup.
Metcalfe’s try might have sealed the deal, but it was five-eighth Cassius Tia who kept Hills in the nail-biter.
Down at halftime, the New Zealand under-16s star scored a vital double and constantly challenged Endeavour with his fancy footwork.
Cassius Tia led from the front. Pic: Steve Montgomery/OurFootyTeam.com
“Hats off to Endeavour, they gave us a run for their money. We were obviously down at the end there, we had to trust the process … ” Metcalfe said.
“Cassius really stood up, led us out there, got us back into the game.”
Hills enforcer Takasima Huihahau continued his strong Schoolboy Cup form by scoring the opening try.
“The pressure got to us, but we all dig in and got the result in the end,” Huihahau said.
“I can’t wait to play Patties (reigning champions Patrician Brothers Blacktown) next … they’ve got a good side, but I we can beat them.”
Sam Jinks scored a double. Pic: Steve Montgomery/OurFootyTeam.com.
Endeavour dominated throughout but copped a few unlucky calls.
Big men Junior Taupau – the younger brother of Manly star Marty Taupau – and Samuel McCulloch were rewarded for their efforts with formidable four-pointers.
Captain Sam Jinks was another stand out, bagging a double in the second half.
“I thought we did really well, we dominated them all over the park, just a couple of calls didn’t go our way. It was unfortunate, but we’ll get back and ready to beat Westfields,” Jinks said.
“Our middles have been great, Cruise Devine off the bench, Sammy McCulloch, they all killed it. Without them today, we’d be half as good. They just rolled through their middles, we were all over them.”
Endeavour got pipped at the post. Pic: Steve Montgomery/OurFootyTeam.com
Endeavour gifted their opponents the perfect start after making an error on the kick off.
Hills crafty halfback Tylor Bunting immediately capitalised, grubbering for Huihahau who crashed over early.
Taupau seized back momentum for Endeavour who dominated the first half.
Even when skipper Jinks was controversially sin-binned, the home side looked strong.
Taupau and McCulloch crashed over to secure Endeavour a 10-6 lead at half time.
Tylor Bunting gets Hills moving. Pic: Steve Montgomery/OurFootyTeam.com
Jinks crossed twice in the see-sawing second half thanks to great inside balls from his no.6 Max DeMeio.
But in a scrappy finish, Tia and Metcalfe bagged doubles and Hills snatched the win.
Hills will take on reigning champions Patrician Brothers Blacktown and Endeavour will play Westfields in Round 3 of the NRL Schoolboy Cup.
Round 2 action continues on Wednesday when All Saints Maitland take on Farrer MAHS at 11:00 AM.
Endeavour SHS v The Hills SHS Action Photo Gallery (Coming Soon)
The OurFootyTeam Camera’s will be at the Maitland Sports Ground on Wednesday for the All Saints v Farrer game
More posts from this section
- 2021 Schoolboy Cup Round 1 Results
- Holy Cross defeats All Saints
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Patrician Brothers Blacktown v Endeavour Sports
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Endeavour Sports defeats Patrician Brothers Blacktown
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 St Gregory’s College v Hunter Sports High
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Bass High v St Dominic’s College
- Westfields Sports High strong comeback to beat Hills Sports High
- Schoolboy Cup Round 1 Bass High v St Dominic’s College
- Illawarra Sports High beat Erindale College in thriller
- 2021 Schoolboy Cup Round 2 Results
- Patrician Brothers Fairfield defeat Holy Cross College
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 2 Endeavour and Hills get it on at Shark Park
- NRL Schoolboy Cup Hills SHS scores comeback win over Endeavour
- All Saints too good for Farrer in Schoolboy Cup
- Schoolboy Cup St Dom’s ignore hype and focus on Hunter SHS
- Schoolboy Cup Eels halves Sanders and Talagi battle in Grand Final rematch
- St Dominic’s College crush Hunter Sports High in Rnd 2 of Schoolboy Cup
- Patrician Brothers Blacktown defeat Westfields Sports High in Schoolboy Cup
- St Gregory’s College defeat Bass High 22-0
- 2021 Schoolboy Cup Round 3 Draw
- Patrician Brothers Fairfield give football lesson in Schoolboy Cup
- Patrician Brothers Fairfield defeat All Saints College 48-0
- Hunter Sports hold out Bass in thriller