NRL Schoolboy Cup: St Dom’s ignore hype and focus on Hunter SHS
Author : Jocelyn Airth News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
St Dominic’s College has been told to ignore the hype as they take on Hunter Sports High in the Schoolboy Cup on Wednesday. Find out how to watch here.
Ryley Smith during the Patrician Brothers Blacktown v St Dominic’s College Schoolboy Cup match at Windsor Leagues Club. Picture: Jonathan Ng
Ignore the hype – that’s what St Dominic’s College coach Kyle Churchill has told his side ahead of Wednesday’s big Schoolboy Cup clash against Hunter Sports High.
Anyone in junior footy circles will tell you that St Dom’s are genuine contenders in 2021. But, after two recent defeats, the boys from Penrith got a much-needed wake up call.
“In our normal school competition, we’ve had a reality check over the last two weeks. We had some players out in both games, and lost to St Greg’s and Pats,” Churchill said.
“It was a leveller. There’s been a lot of noise about how good we are, and that we’re the team to beat this year. It’s good to get that noise out of our heads now.”
“We’ve set our own standards that we need to adhere to. We need to trust that process and not just listen to other people and all the hype.”
St Dom’s will be boosted by the inclusion of rising Penrith Panthers stars Ryley Smith, Liam Ison and Keagan Russell-Smith.
Smith, a hooker with exceptional kicking game, and Ison, an explosive and rangy fullback, both missed St Dom’s Round 1 victory.
Halfback Russell-Smith was key in the clash and, after a minor injury, should be fit to return for Round 2.
Churchill, who was also absent from Round 1 due to his City v Country coaching commitments, said he was proud of St Dom’s for winning without two key players.
“It was quite pleasing. I was in camp with Ryley… we knew how important it would be if we won without those two. We also knew how costly a loss would be. We were watching from the edge of our seats,” Churchill said.
“I’m looking forward to seeing Keagan get back (on Wednesday), he’s been frustrated the last couple of weeks watching our school competition, probably seeing the lack of direction that we’ve had without him,
“And having Liam, Ryley and Keagan working together in the same side, we haven’t really had that this year.”
St Dom’s expect Hunter SHS to throw everything at them on Wednesday in Charlestown.
Knights SG Ball fullback Lachlan Fitzhenry – the son of Wests Tigers legend Daniel Fitzhenry – was dangerous in Hunter’s Round 1 clash against St Gregs. Workhorse Connor Cromarty will also be hard to stop.
Hunter Sports High School take on St Dominic’s College on Wednesday June 9 at St John’s Oval, Charlestown, at 12:00 PM.
To watch the match, head to www.dailytelegraph.com.au
Hunter Sports High School
1 Lachlan Fitzhenry
2 Daniel Kelly
3 Kai Spruce-Conn
4 Jakob Bacon
5 Harrison Sams
6 Lauchlyn Spicer
7 Brandon Thompson
8 Connor Cromarty
9 Broden Konz
10 Kade Youlten
11 Riley Watson Miletic
12 Darcy Blackmore
13 Jarred Williams
14 Kynan Toomey
17 Connor Watson
16 Taylor GRiffen
20 Royden Taape
18 Jay Soli
St Dominic’s College
1 Liam Ison
2 Joshua Debritt
3 Ethan Hutchings
4 Cainan Hardiman
5 Bayley Brothwick
6 Luke Hansen
7 Keagan Russell-Smith
8 Lachlan Whitehouse
9 Ryley Smith
10 Kobi Borthwick
11 Lachlan Blackburn
12 Lachlan Squires
13 Mason Teague
14 Matt Rossetto
16 Ashton Cini
17 Jack Hyde
More posts from this section
- Heathcote High School Win University Shield
- Heathcote High School Win University Shield
- Heathcote High Create Their Own Little Bit Of History
- Kirwan Shock Football World By Defeating Westfields
- NSWRL to introduce new concussion rules
- Major second-tier competitions cancelled across Australia
- NSWRL Covid-19 Update for Clubs : Major and Pathways Competitions
- Born To Be A Star
- Volunteer recruitment campaign
- 2020 Sydney Metro Schoolboy Cup Kicks Off With New Sponsor
- Big Scores in Rnd 1 of the 2020 Schoolboy Cup
- NSW Schoolboy Cup – Rnd 2
- Patrician Bro’s Blacktown home in 9 try romp
- St. Gregory Schoolboy Cup Quarter final report
- Endeavour sail on after broadsiding Illawarra in Schoolboy Cup Qtr Final
- Schoolboy Cup Semi Finals
- Schoolboy Cup – Semi Finals
- Pats Blacktown Set Up Grand Final Blockbuster
- NRL Schoolboy Cup 2020: Westfields Sports High vs Patrician Brothers Blacktown
- Patrician Brothers win 2020 Schoolboy Cup
- Patties seal Grand Final in last minutes
- NSW Schoolboy Cup Teams of the Year
- Endeavour SHS Rugby League Gala Day
- Endeavour Hosts Bass High School
- Schoolboy Cup Kicks off this week
- 2021 Schoolboy Cup Round 1 Results
- Holy Cross defeats All Saints
- Hunter and Endeavour get it on in Buckley & Uni Shields
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Patrician Brothers Blacktown v Endeavour Sports
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Endeavour Sports defeats Patrician Brothers Blacktown