Patrician Brothers v Endeavour Sports High
Author : Kelsey Hogan News Corp Sports Follow @kelseyhogan99
Patrician Brothers, Blacktown v Endeavour Sports High, Peter Mulholland Cup
Don’t miss out on the headlines from Rugby League Live Stream. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Endeavour Sports High School has produced a nail-biting 20-14 victory against Patrician Brothers Blacktown in a NRL Schoolboys top-tier showdown on Wednesday.
In a match between two powerhouses of schoolboy football, it was Blacktown who opened the scoring through blockbusting second-rower Jordan Faleono.
But Endeavour were quick to fight back with a four pointer from Dragons’ Harold Matthews blockbusting forward Cyrus Stanley-Traill.
But just before half time, co-captain Matt Arthur sent halfback Dylan Brettle crashing over the line for Blacktown’s second try to give them a half-time lead.
In the second half, it was captain Noah Penitani who brought Endeavour back into the match, breaking through Blacktown’s defence to score a try in the first two minutes of the second half.
Fullback Chevy Stewart followed suit with another four-pointer to give the youthful Shire squad a comfortable lead.
When Stanley-Traill got sent to the sin bin for multiple infringements late on, it gave Blacktown the opening they needed.
It was fullback Wilson Decourcey who pulled off a 70m effort to put the blue and gold back into the game, bringing the scores to 16-14 with 10 minutes remaining.
But a superb kick from Bronson Harden-Emery, and a dream bounce for finisher Luca Bento ensured Endeavour got the victory.
PREVIEW: Pats ready to show off new generation
Patrician Brothers’ College, Blacktown is renowned for producing top-tier rugby league players and the new generation is ready to make its mark.
The schoolboys juggernaut will kick start their 2022 Peter Mulholland Cup campaign against Endeavour Sports High on Wednesday, with the game exclusively live streamed by The Daily Telegraph.
The Western Sydney rugby league school is where Penrith Panthers stars Jarmoe Luai, Stephen Crichton and Sean O’Sullivan first linked up as students and now the nursery for NRL talent is back to show off their schoolboy stars.
Coach Noah Meares said the “NRL Schoolboys Cup is synonymous” with Patrician Brothers after winning eight Cups, including two out of the last three seasons, and a National Championship in 2012.
“We have boys that come from all over that want to come to the school because they know about our history and culture and want to be a part of it,” Meares said.
“They also know that coming here not only gives them an opportunity to play in the competition but gives them a great opportunity to move into the NRL and pathways systems.
“We have the most former students that are currently playing in the NRL, so the Cup means a lot to our school and our boys and that’s why they always put their best foot forward.
“In fairness it seems like it means more for the boys to play for their school than it does for their club or rep club some of the time.”
After last year’s competition was scrapped midway due to Covid, Patrician Brothers remain the reigning champions after defeating Westfields by six points in the 2020 grand final.
And Coach Meares said after two years of disrupted seasons, his side will come out fighting this year, determined to chase back-to-back championships.
“We had a very good team in 2020 and last year even though it was disruptive we were again in a really good spot,” Meares said.
“I think we’re always going to be in a good spot because there’s always a very high potential among these boys but the group this year I think has a greater potential than last year’s team.”
“We had a very young team last year, a lot of them were 16 so we’ve had players come back a lot more experienced and mature which will only work in our favour I think.”
Patrician Brothers quest for back-to-back titles won’t be easy, and it begins on Wednesday against a strong Endeavour Sports High.
Meares said the side from the Shire are known to be “fit, fast and play a well-structured game of footy.”
“Endeavour is a very well drilled team and their fitness tends to be the difference between them and other sides,” Meares said.
“I know they have a few standout players from Cronulla junior reps so the boys will have a job to do to shut down those key players but I think we’re definitely up for the challenge.”
Patrician Brothers v Endeavour Sports High
Patrician Brothers Blacktown
1. Wilson Decourcey 2. John Mah Chong 3. Semisi Faasisilia 4. John-Paul Donevski 5. Ben Zahra 6. Cameron Robertson 7. Dylan Brettle 8. Tana Papu 9. Matthew Arthur 10. Connor Puru 11. Jordan Faleono 12. Grayson Tukaki 13. Zedrick Tupulua 14. Jenson Tuaoi 15. Finau Latu 16. Judah Galuvao 17. Thomas Epre 18. Jacob Halangahu 19. Joseph Partch
Live stream: Your go-to guide for NRL Schoolboys Cup
Watch replay: Patrician Brothers Fairfield make massive Cup statement
Endeavour Sports High
1. Chevy Stewart 2. Luca Bento 3. Noa Penitani 4. Koby Douglas 5. Aaron Langer 6. Bronson Harden-Emery 7. Fynn Perryman 8. Kakile Leha 9. Dylan Frazer 10. Ryan Rapata-Clements 11. Lama Afu 12. Cyrus Stanley-Traill 13. William Gibson 14. Villiami Hikila 15. Risiate Smythe 16. Kye Beckett 17. Connal Amosa 18. Liam Christie
ROUND 1 SCHEDULE
Tuesday, May 31
Wednesday, June 1
12pm: Endeavour Sports High 20 – 14 Patrician Brothers Blacktown (Action Photo’s Monday 13 June)
Wednesday, June 8
12pm: St Dominic’s v Bass High
11am: The Grange P-12 College v Hallam College
Thursday, June 9
Westfields Sports High v Hills Sports High
Ipswich SHS 24 – 16 Keebra Park SHS
Aaron Payne Cup
Mackay State High School 0 – 32 St Patrick’s College
Action Photo Galleries
More posts from this section
- Heathcote High Create Their Own Little Bit Of History
- Kirwan Shock Football World By Defeating Westfields
- Major second-tier competitions cancelled across Australia
- 2020 Sydney Metro Schoolboy Cup Kicks Off With New Sponsor
- Big Scores in Rnd 1 of the 2020 Schoolboy Cup
- NSW Schoolboy Cup – Rnd 2
- Patrician Bro’s Blacktown home in 9 try romp
- St. Gregory Schoolboy Cup Quarter final report
- Endeavour sail on after broadsiding Illawarra in Schoolboy Cup Qtr Final
- Schoolboy Cup Semi Finals
- Schoolboy Cup – Semi Finals
- Pats Blacktown Set Up Grand Final Blockbuster
- NRL Schoolboy Cup 2020: Westfields Sports High vs Patrician Brothers Blacktown
- Patrician Brothers win 2020 Schoolboy Cup
- Patties seal Grand Final in last minutes
- NSW Schoolboy Cup Teams of the Year
- Schoolboy Cup Kicks off this week
- 2021 Schoolboy Cup Round 1 Results
- Holy Cross defeats All Saints
- Schoolboy Cup Rnd 1 Patrician Brothers Blacktown v Endeavour Sports